Welcome to the Badger state!

" The Nursing Licensure Compact (NLC) is an agreement between states that allows nurses to have one license but the ability to practice in other states that are part of the agreement.

Originally developed in 2000, in 2024 the license had grown to include at least 25 states. To help streamline the process for nurses the Enhanced Nursing Licensure Compact (eNLC) was implemented in 2018 and included standards for licensure which the originally compact license was lacking.


Each state needs a competent medical workforce to meet the needs of it’s citizens. However, the requirements for some health care professions are not the same in each state. That is why it is important to find out what is required of you as a future or current registered nurse before moving across state lines. Contact information is located at the bottom of this page.


Wisconsin is a compact state. If you are moving to Wisconsin or claiming it as your primary state of residence, you will need to apply for application by endorsement in order to use your license in Wisconsin. General instructions are listed below.

Renewals cost $86 and take place every even year on the last day of February. You must renew your license online or request a paper copy. You will be required to take a workplace survey as well.

Continuing Competency

Wisconsin does not have any continuing education requirements

This state requires nurses to hold current ACLS certification.

Contact Information

Wisconsin Nursing Board Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services

Mailing address:

P.O. Box 8935 1400 E. Madison, WI 53708-8935


Washington Avenue Madison, WI 53703

Fax: (608) 261-7083

Phone: (608) 266-2112

E-Mail: dsps@wisconsin.gov

Edit this page.

Online ACLS Recertification in 2-5 hours

10% off with 2 courses, 15% off with 3

... see our other courses and group discounts