Welcome to the Sunflower state!

Each state needs a competent medical workforce to meet the needs of it's citizens. However, the requirements for some health care professions are not the same in each state. That is why it is important to find out what is required of you as a future or current registered nurse before moving across state lines. Contact information is located at the bottom of this page.


General requirements for endorsement in Kansas are listed below.

  • Completed application, notarized, with fees.You may choose to download the paper application with instructions.

  • Completed fingerprint card: The criminal background check is $48. Live scan prints are an additional $7.50

  • Proof of licensure from original state can be provided via www.nursys.com, or from your original state of licensure.

  • Proof of education from an approved program

  • Proof of passing NCLEX or State Board Test Pool Exam scores

  • Excelsior Graduates must contact the State Board directly for licensure inquiries

  • Official transcripts from your nursing training program

  • Foreign educated nurses must complete a Commission on Graduate of Foreign Nursing Schools Evaluation (CGFNS).Graduates of a foreign nursing program not taught in English and English textbooks were not used will need to pass an English proficiency exam (TOEFL).

For more information regarding endorsement, click here.

It is possible to receive a temporary permit if you have no criminal history, no pending investigations, and have not had any disciplinary action taken against you. The temporary license last 120 days and does not guarantee you will be given a permanent license.

Continuing Competency

If you are not a newly licensed RN, the Board will require you to either have worked at least 500 hours as an RN in the last two years or 1,600 hours within the last 5 years. They will also require proof that you have completed at least 30 hours of RN continuing education during the last two years. Finally, they will require proof of that you were certified in some area of specialty in the last five years. The certification must be nationally recognized.

If you are a newly licensed RN, you will need to provide proof that you have passed the NCLEX-RN within the last five years in lieu of experience and continuing education.

This state requires nurses to hold current ACLS certification.

Contact The Kansas Board of Nursing

Landon State Office Building

900 SW Jackson Street Suite 1051

Topeka, Kansas 66612-1230

Phone number: 785-296-4929

Fax number: 785-296-3929

The Board's office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM.

Registered Nurses NCL


A link to the Kansas State Nursing Board's frequently asked questions can be found here

Online ACLS Recertification in 2-5 hours

10% off with 2 courses, 15% off with 3

... see our other courses and group discounts